Wednesday, May 27, 2015

How to Improve Memory

Hi readers,
The title of this post should be phrased as a question:

How can I improve my memory?
And, more importantly, why is my memory SO BAD?!

Let's work backwards through the above list of inquires.

1. Why is my memory so bad?

Yesterday...sure, yesterday existed.  I have no idea what I mindlessly searched around for on the internet important projects I completed at work. Or how much wine coffee almond milk I drank. Or what I saw on reality TV while I was out enjoying a healthy jog.  The events of 48 hours ago might as well have taken place in another lifetime.  What's the deal?  Have I been getting stupider?  Did the excessive moderate amount of "substance indulgence" in late 20's early 20's college cause such a severe effect on my mind?

I have a theory about the general decline of memory: When something is seldom used or paid any attention, it tends to fade into general obscurity.  For example:

List of Formerly Important Things That Have Fallen Into Obscurity



1.  Minidisk Players
2.  Calista Flockhart (but you look great, girlfriend! Check out photo)
3. The Cincinnati Post
4.  Moon Boots
5.  "Saved By The Bell: The New Class"





Please note, Saved By The Bell: The New Class is different than Saved By The Bell: The College Years, which I watched religiously.  Until they graduated.  You know, again.  Anyway, the point is people don't use memory as much anymore.  People used to actually commit to memory things like unit conversions, song lyrics, names of restaurants, people's fax car phone iPhone 5 numbers, plots of Saved By The Bell episodes...etc.  Now we don't need to.  We use google.  Much like eating peyote (or so I hear...), google is vastly improving one part of the human experience while simultaneously potentially destroying something else: human memory.  Which brings us to the next question...


2. How can I improve my memory?
I rode my bike home from work this week.  I know I passed by some flowers.  What color were they, you ask? Excellent question! I have no idea. In order to improve my memory I have decided I need to start consciously trying to remember obscure details about the hours I whittle away on this planet.
For example: Today I went to the Worldpress digital photography exhibition.  The countries where pictures were taken included:


Spain.  "Different Cultural Regions"
El Salvador.  "Remnants of the Civil War"
France.  "Light in Paris"
Greece "Immigrant Survival"
Venezuela "Prison in Caracas"

Ahh, I feel better already.  Double better since a) I am not in prison in Caracas and b) I didn't have to look up a single exhibit on the internet.

What tricks do you use to help your memory?  Comment below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment