Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Last week of school

Hi readers,
Some weeks have a theme.  For example:

1. First-week-of-spring
2. Snow-and-hot-chocolate-and-books
3. Eat-Salad-and-don't-be-fat
4. Completing-important-life-errands
5. Cherry-blossom-trees

The theme of this week in this teacher's life is:

 "Last-week-of-school"

There is something special about the last week of school.  Students are thoroughly and introspectively contemplating all you have taught them through the year while they happily study for their finals. They are so thankful and all bring you presents.  Colleagues are absorbed with the academically-rewarding work of planning units for next year.  There is an air of relaxation as the year peacefully winds to a close....

JUST KIDDING

If you believe a word of that, it's been too long since you set foot in a school building.  The last week of school is terrible.  Students are stressed about about tests, grades and papers that they have been ignoring all year.  Colleagues are either hung-over or annoyed that they have so much grading to do.  Everyone is exhausted and the only air circulating is the frantic whirlwind of people traipsing between the coffee machine and the recycling bin... 

Needless to say, this has been a week of extreme fatigue and and mild frustration at work.  It is important to count my blessings and remember that I am lucky to have a job.  So here goes, in no particular order.....

Blessings to Remember 

1.  I get to choose what I do every day.  If I don't like something that is happening in my life I have the power, the freedom and the am-ex card mastercard pre-paid debit card to do something about it.  
2.  I have a wonderful family.  We are crazy, but in that good way, like margaritas on a monday night. 
3.  I sleep in a room with a view.  Sure my bed is used and from Ikea nothing fancy, but I have a little balcony that looks out onto an adorable street and if I lay just right I can see out the window without getting up.
4.  I am healthy.  I get to walk around and use both hands to make adorable, expressive gestures and breathe moderately clean air into my lungs unassisted.  

And most importantly (at least in relation to not committing homicide at work)....

5.  I get to go on summer vacation in 2 days!  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment