Wednesday, January 6, 2016

New Year's Resolutions

Hi readers,

In college,  I spent a memorable year living in a house full of girls that loved video games.  Specifically, Mario Kart.  I exclude myself rather emphatically from that category.  Sometimes, I would leave for a weekend and come back to the girls sitting in basically the same places I left them, scattered around our living room with a pile of Keystone Light cans expanding around them in every direction.  It was kind of funny.  It was also when I started to get kind of judgmental about people who spend too much time in front of the TV.  

For years, my relationship with television has fluctuated:

I'm disinterested. (early twenties)
I watch enough Sex and the City to win a trivia contest at a Cloud 9 party. (late early twenties)
I'm disinterested.  (mid-twenties)
I watch 6 seasons of Grey's Anatomy so intently that I'm basically a doctor. (late mid twenties)
I'm disinterested. (grad school)
I'm busy to the point of hysteria. (first 5 years of teaching)
I discover the X Files. (current)

First, if you notice a trend of "me finding out about these shows roughly 10 years after they first air", that is correct.  That extends to all aspects of pop culture in my life, including Beyonce and hair straighteners.  Second?  The X Files is awesome.  Besides being highly addictive and convincing the general masses (read: myself, my boyfriend, Dana Scully) of a general government conspiracy to subterfuge alien existence, the series (or at least the mythology arch episodes) contain complicated plot lines and thoughtful dialogue.  It's interesting and most importantly:

It's relaxing!
I get to sit on my couch!!
I love my couch!!!

Maybe I shouldn't have judged my college roommates.  Apparently, it's important to relax and generally, it's not something I'm very good at.   Most of my hobbies are pretty intense, and there is only so much running I can do to "destress" before I start to have major back spasms.

I know this has nothing to do with New Years Resolutions.  It just sounded so topical.  Maybe my New Year's Resolution should be to find out what happens on the X Files? And run a half marathon! A life of balance....

Happy 2016!


No comments:

Post a Comment