Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Self Care

Hi readers,

I had a doctor's appointment today.  I don't know if it's normal how much fanfare goes into this decision in a teaching career.  For me, the process started last week.  I had to get a doctor recommendation form the school nurse.  I had to brush up on my Spanish medical vocabulary.  I had to ask the school secretary in advance so she could arrange a teacher for my classes (In a professional capacity I find our school secretary to be particularly terrifying).  I had to make sub plans (this generally consists of finding an activity students could complete if there was literally no adult supervision in the room.  Playing-on-the-internet type activities are popular.)

It takes enough planning to schedule a doctor's appointment that I generally don't bother.  It's sad to think how routinely I put the maintenance of my personal health at the end of a laundry list of tasks to complete. When I was relaxing in my gloriously hard-earned plastic waiting room chair, it occurred to me that self-care is a phenomenally important and over-looked concept in my life.

I go through waves of meditation-interest. I don't smoke.  I exercise, sometimes.  I eat reasonably well, I think.  I enjoy taking time to focus on my breathing occasionally (this is an excellent activity for crowded subway cars).  But in a deep way I don't feel very connected to my health and my self-care.  Just taking a few hours to check in about my health made me feel more calm and connected to my body.  It was an impressive and immediate difference.  I realized how important it is to take the time to take care of myself.  I'm so lucky to be in good health and I often take it for granted.

Feeling thankful...

No comments:

Post a Comment